Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Voice of Pashtun Women


As nobody has enough time to poke into the domain of the voiceless. Yes! I am talking about the very gentle and fair sex. How desperate and tender they are, no one is interested in this orbit so our women express these feelings in Tappa which is a genre of Folk Poshto poetry. As a tappa;

Tappy kawom, tappy me kar de
Ze pa tappo da Zargi gham qararoma
[I am doing tappa and my job is making tappa – I am soothing the grief of heart on tappa]

Been living in an unpluralistic society we have a negative attitude to our female. Gossiping with girlfriend on cell phone make us proud, but when someone talks to our sister it is jolting us.
And when a boy commits zinna and the people searching them to kill so his sister protects him but when the same sister does this act the first bullet should be used by the same brother to kill his sister;

Khwendy che kini rona stai
Ronra che kini khwendy bal la warkawena
[When sisters set together, they embrace their brothers – And when brothers set together they gave their sisters to others]


Before marriage we don’t ask a girl about her wish so they cause a lot of problems. As we think that our daughter and sister are our property. We can sell them, treat that they are our cattle.

Da Qismatona faisla da
Gela ba na kram Plara ta warkare yama
[This is all the game of fate – there is no complain, My father, you have given me]

Surat zama waak y da nora
Raba te wakhly da bewaka suratoona [Body is mine administrated by others, O God! Take back these subjugated bodies]

Da pukhtano pukhto ta gora
Che loor o khoor laka sarwee baya kawena
[Look at honour of Pashtuns – They bargain daughter & sister away like cattle]

Che dodai khoram, dada qaharigi
Che ropai shrang kri, dada shin da khanda shena
[On my eating loaf, father is farious – If money jingles, father turn green with laughter]


Pashtuns like to live in a combined family system, this is a good approach but this also makes some problems for example the main conflict starts between mother-in-law and daughter-in-law as an old woman quotos;
“Che kala ze ingoor wom no zama khwakhy kha na wa, o che kala ze khwakhy shwam no zama ingoorr kha na wa”
[Translation- when I was daughter-in-law my mother-in-law was not good and when I became mother-in-law my daughter-in-law is not good].
Toty toty me warla yosai
Da che da sitamgar y aby khwara yakha shena [Take me into pieces with her – to cold the lover of the tyrant lady (Mother in law)]

In almost all cases our women get sacrifice and compromise on many issues.
Pa sir nary lopata na oram,
Drany drany khabry sta da lasa orama
[I don’t put dobata on my head – but disgrace due to you]


For the last hundred years our labor goes aboard to earn more money for his family, so that husband stays abroad for many years. What happens to his wife?

Da dunyagy ghamoona pregda
Zama gham dy pa janjal k nasta yma
[Leave the sorrow of the world – think for me, I am sitting in troubles]

Musafar te shwe, khwara ze shwam,
Khwara de mor sha che safar la de legena
[You went abroad & I became wretched – May ruined your mother for sending you abroad]

Te da dakan la safar rasha
Zama pa toor orbal k speen wolagedona
[You come from Dakan – white hairs grew up in my hairs]

We don’t treat them well. Their health, clothes, food, shelter and other basic needs can to full fill well, and even we imprison then to the “four-wall”.

Zama bebe dada ta wai
Khushala na yam, da nakama nasta yama
[My mother tells my father – I am not happy but stay here in compulsion]

Che mazigar she, zargy my kha she
Mangy nary kre che raza godar ta zoona
[At the time of evening I became happy – pot shout that lets go outside to bring water]

Khpala mor me plar ta wai
Khushala na yam, de bacho ta nasta yma
[My mom tells my father – I am not happy but just stay for the childerns]
Even all abuse and punishments we impose on women.
Lala me khpal arman pura kro
Ze y pa wara da riwajoono sathi karma
[Elder brother fulfilled his desire – burned me in the fire of customs]


Let’s pay respect and dignity to our sisters, mother & daughters. It is time to gather up to say and to do something for those who are rarely fragile.

feedback

 
;